I don’t know why everyone calls this a tea. There is no tea to be found in this great drink for your body. If you do a search on ginger, turmeric and lemon tea you will find tons of blogs with varying recipes. The blog that I first looked at even used Cayenne. Nope not me!!
A lot of the recipes say that you can used powered ginger and turmeric. Take it from me DON’T. It is horrid and it does not dissolve.
There are many benefits to consuming ginger and turmeric and the number one reason I am beginning to use this tea is for inflammation. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia several years ago and recently have heard a lot about taking turmeric with this condition. I already juice ginger with my other fruits and veggies in the morning but wanted something to drink during the day as I dislike drinking water all by its lonesome. Maybe some day I will enjoy it.
Some of the benefits of ginger are pain relief of arthritis, low back pain, stomach upset (even caused by cancer) and more. Here is the link to WebMD which also lists side effects.
Some of the benefits of turmeric are the same as ginger but include Alzheimers, water retention and worms. Here is the link to WebMD which also lists side effects.
- 3 lemons
- 2″ piece fresh (I used a frozen piece (thawed) that I grew)
- 2″ piece of fresh turmeric
- 2 quarts of filtered water (could use bottled water)
- 2 T raw sugar or local honey
I juiced the lemons along with the ginger and turmeric. I divided this mixture into 2 quart jars and added filtered water. I then added a T of raw sugar into each jar. I will add my local honey next time for extra benefit. Mix and enjoy.
Store in the fridge.
I purchased this pattern from Pixie Faire Patterns on Etsy. The cost was $8.99 but I plan on making at least 4 of these dresses. I am SO pleased with this pattern. The pieces and instructions were very clear. The skirt is fully lined and the top is lined except for the sleeves. The eyelets were the worst part for me only because I had a very hard time finding an eyelet setter. I finally found one at JoAnns today after looking around for 20 minutes. I found it with the cutting tools in the scrapbooking section of JoAnns. This is the one I finally found.
I printed out the pattern and then traced the pattern pieces onto interfacing. For the pleated pieces, after cutting them out I lined them up with the printed pattern pieces and marked the lines with a pencil. I then matched the pencil marks and ironed and then folded the top mark back and ironed again, then pinned before basting.
When working on the waistband for the skirt I used my homemade ham to iron up the 1/4″ hem. I have a doll from Madame Alexander and next time I will use 1/2″ less elastic for the waist. Other than that everything was perfect.
UPDATE: for the Target brand doll I cut the skirt to 16 1/2″ and the elastic in the back I cut at 3 3/4″ as this doll has a much smaller waist.
I can’t wait to try more of these patterns!
Linked to Made by You Monday
It has been a month since I dug up my first batch of ginger. This second batch looks wonderful. I grew this ginger in a small self watering container. Here is a post for making a 5 gallon self watering buckets.
The reason I decided to grow ginger was for juicing. I found out you can freeze the ginger and my first batch I washed and froze the larger pieces. However, I decided that peeling and cutting the pieces will be much easier to use in the future.
After peeling and cutting I placed the pieces on plates and froze before putting into freezer bags.
Growing ginger is so easy, please give it a try.
I finally got the time to can some of my organic purple sweet potatoes. It was a good thing because some of them are sprouting already. In Florida this happens often and that is why I am canning them. I haven’t eaten them yet and am hoping they will taste good.
The recipe I used said to use 11 lbs of potatoes for 9 pints. I actually ended up with 13 pints and a couple of small ones left over. It also said to bake, steam, or boil the potatoes before peeling and canning. I have decided I will not do that next time. I will just peel, cut and can.
I used a light syrup to pack the potatoes which was 6 cups of water to 2 cups of sugar, I had to make 2 recipes. I pressure canned them at 11 lbs for 65 minutes.
If you have canned purple sweet potatoes I would love to hear what your results were.
This is a fun small bag and is a free pattern from Sara at Tangled Happy. There are also several different handle versions and even one with owl eyes, so cute. Sara has some free patterns on her blog and also sells patterns on Craftsy.
The purse was very easy and only took about 30 minutes to make. After finishing I decided to add the lining and Sara has a post for this. I did not sew the two linings together at the top but whip stitched them together (with needle and thread) while stitching it to the purse. I cut my two linings 8 1/2″ x 12″. I also installed the magnetic snap to the inside lining only. I did not use scissors for the snap slits but an exacto knife and small cutting board. Here is a good Youtube video for installing the snaps.
These little purses are so much fun and the possibilities with different yarn and flowers are endless. Lets see how many little girls I can find to make these for!
My son was looking for bar stools for his new apartment and I found 3 of these at a thrift store. I paid $3 each and purchased marine vinyl at JoAnns for $9 on sale.
I flipped the stool upside down and traced the top. I then added 5/8″ seam allowance. I measured around the stool which was 44″so I cut a large rectangle 45 1/4″ x 7″. After sewing the seam allowance for the strip I then sewed the circle to the strip.
After placing the new cover on the seat I flipped it upside down and stapled the fabric down.
This was such a quick and inexpensive project. I did a search on bar stools and the least expensive ones I could find like these were $52 each.