I think I am at the point of saying that I really do like gardening in my hay bales. Everything seems to be doing great.
I am going to have to pull my cukes but, at over 90 degrees in Florida for weeks they are not liking the heat. The green beans are doing OK with the heat but not looking so “hot” no pun intended. I have gotten over 5 lbs and have canned 24, 1/2 pints.
This morning I counted over 100 roma tomatoes on just 2 of my plants and can’t wait to start harvesting to make ketchup and sauce.
The corn, well, just see for yourself. My fence is 6′ so the corn is very tall and I have great looking ears so far.
The beets are starting to get big and I will be pulling some soon. I have lots of melon and watermelon babies along with 2 pumpkins. The eggplants are starting to take off and flowers are beginning to bud.
Maintenance on this garden has been:
- Watering twice a day if there has been no rain.
- Putting a side dressing of manure
- Feeding it water with coffee grounds and some of my compost mixed in (three times)
- Tying up the corn and tomatoes to the fence as they have gotten bigger
- Fed once with elephant compost tea (yes you read that right, lol) my CSA sells it
- Most of my seeds were purchased from Baker Creek Seed Company