This recipe comes from Martha Stewart and is fabulous (one minor change below)! I have a regular version of Mac & Cheese but wanted to try a baked version. Even my husband liked this, either he is getting used to gluten-free cooking or he is desperate!
The one change I made was the “crisp puffed rice cereal”. I just could not image eating this on my mac & cheese. I used my “go to” bread crumbs which also added more flavor. Of course I use “Tinkyada” pasta which I like the best.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for dish
- 1/2 cup
gluten-free crisp puffed-rice cereal, slightly crushed“go to” bread crumbs
- 1 ounce Parmesan, grated (1/4 cup)
- 1 small yellow onion, diced small
- 2 tablespoons potato starch
- 2 cups whole milk, warmed
- 3/4 pound cheddar, shredded (3 cups) (I used mixture of cheddar and another cheese)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 pound gluten-free penne ( I used elbow)
- unsalted butter
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter six 8-ounce ramekins or a 2-quart baking dish. Microwave 1 tablespoon butter until melted, then toss with bread crumbs and Parmesan.
- In a medium saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium. Add onion and cook until softened, 4 minutes. Sprinkle with potato starch and cook 1 minute. Slowly whisk in milk and cook, whisking constantly, until thickened, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cheddar and mustard until smooth; season with salt and pepper. Add pasta and stir to coat; transfer to ramekins or baking dish. Sprinkle with bread crumb mixture and bake until sauce is bubbling and topping is golden, 15 to 20 minutes