This recipe is from “The Comfort of Cooking” and it is a rich wonderful tasting soup. After I cut the stalks off the broccoli I weighed it and it was right around 1lb which is what is called for in this recipe. You could add more if you wanted. To make this gluten free I used Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Flour and an 1/8 tsp of Xanthan Gum instead of using the flour.
I used my Ninja to blend the soup after it was cooked and it worked great. This makes a large batch and next time I make it I will half the recipe.
Creamy Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Yield: Makes approximately 5 servings (1 1/2 cups per serving)
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1/2 medium chopped onion
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free flour
- 2 1/2 cups half-and-half – I found organic at Walmart
- 4 cups chicken stock – I used my homemade
- 1 lb. (16 oz.) fresh or frozen broccoli florets – I used fresh organic
- 1 cup grated organic carrot
- Kosher salt and freshly grated pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 8 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
Melt butter in a large pot over medium-high heat, and sauté onion until soft, about 3 minutes. Add additional butter and flour, whisking for 3-5 minutes to create a roux. Whisk while adding the half-and-half and chicken stock. Simmer for 20 minutes.
Stir in the broccoli florets and grated carrot. Add salt, pepper and nutmeg. Simmer over low heat for 30-35 minutes.
Remove soup from heat and pulse with an immersion blender until smooth. Or, puree the soup in batches in a food processor until smooth, adding mixture back to the pot.
Return pot to low heat and stir in cheddar cheese. Simmer for 10 minutes, and serve.