I have been experimenting with using other flours besides wheat and decided to try these with almond flour. Because I used almond flour I increased the baking soda and baking powder. They did drop a little in the middle but if you use the frosting no one will ever know.
After I baked them I realized that I used wheat germ and really wanted a wheat free muffin so I did a search on replacements. I found a few but settled on ground flax seeds. I also decided to change out the vegetable oil for coconut oil.
Ingredients for a wheat free muffin
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup liquid coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar or organic sugar
- 1/4 cup honey or agave
- 2 cups grated carrots (about 4-5 medium/large carrots)
- 1 1/4 cups almond flour
- 3/4 cup ground flax meal or ground pecans
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 tsp Xantham Gum (optional, they will not fall if you use this)
You can make these with or without the cream cheese frosting (recipe on Foodlets.com). They make 18 large muffins but I like the smaller muffins. This recipe makes approx. 60 mini muffins. Bake the mini muffins from 12-15 minutes.